Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Grape Expectations

~After our tour of the Kroměříž castle library and art gallery, it was time for the most anticipated event of the day: a wine-tasting in the castle's extensive wine cellar! After being on a bus for hours, it was time to kick back with some "Fruit of the Vine and Work of Human Hands."

^ The entrance to the wine cellar is in a small building on the castle grounds, which has a wine shop on the top level and an inclined tunnel leading down into the ground. The cellar was chilly, and had row after row of of wine barrels.

^ The largest barrel of them all: this one can hold a whopping 19220 liters! I certainly hope you're thirsty...

^...because I certainly was!

^ The wine-tasting event was hosted by the manager of the wine cellar, who really knew his wine. He explained, in excellent English, the different types of red and white wines, and how they differ from one another in taste. He also explained the proper way to drink wine; for example, when drinking white wine, always hold the glass by the stem so your hand doesn't warm up the chilled wine.

As for the wine itself, it was f*a*n*t*a*s*t*i*c! Never have I partaken of such delicious nectar of the gods! Kidding aside, it really was delicious, and of course the wine expert kept refilling our glasses and uncorking expensive bottles for us.

He also told us an interesting myth to explain the origin of wine, and how it affects people. The story begins with a young Dionysus, the (future) Greek god of wine, who was happily wandering around in the wilderness when he came across some grapes, and discovered that their juice could be fermented into a delicious libation. Eager for more, he went out again, killed a bird, and used its skeleton as a frame to grow more grapevines on. But this wasn't enough, so he went out again, killed a lion, and used its skeleton to grow even more vines on. Still, this wasn't enough to satisfy the god, so he went out one more time, killed an ass, and used it for growing grapevines.

As a result, when you have one glass of wine, you feel as light as a bird! After two glasses, you have the courage of a lion! But after three glasses...well, you get the idea.

After hearing this story, I told the wine master that I needed the courage of a lion, so he handed me another glass of wine. I actually don't remember how many I ended up having, although I do recall that the floor of the tunnel leading out of the cellar seemed much less stable compared to when I descended it.

^ A statue of Bishop Bruno of Schaumburk, who had the wine cellar built in the 13th century. Remember, Kroměříž castle was a palace for archbishops. I imagine they drank wine quite a bit outside of church.

^ While wandering through the wine cellars, several people noticed Czech coins stuck into the walls, which were covered with (benign?) mold from the high humidity underground. Legend has it that if you stick a coin into the wall, you will return and partake of the wine in the future.

(Yes, I put a coin in the wall)

^ After leaving the wine cellar (and buying a bottle of wine for Dad), my group split up for an hour before our long ride back to Prague. I joined some ladies to walk around the formal gardens around the castle. Above is a picture taken from a raised walkway above the gardens.

^ I was curious about the domed structure in the middle of the gardens, so I went inside for a better look.

^ The dome contained statues, but I was more interested in the colorful ceiling.

^ A closer look at one of the paintings on the ceiling. I wonder what this image represents?

^ Another section of the ceiling. The maintenance staff and/or art restorers must work hard to keep these paintings so vivid.

^ Lining one wall of the gardens was a row of statues depicting mythological figures.



<-- My friends and I had a statue-posing contest, to see who could best imitate the pose of countenance of the statue. How'd I do?

~Next: Vysehrad Castle in Prague, a strange cemetery, and the real statues of Charles Bridge!

No comments: