Sunday, August 3, 2008

Krumlov: The Tourist Trap

~The new semester begins in a couple of weeks, and it should be a lot of fun. For now, I bring you more pictures from my trip to the Czech Republic. First, however, I'd like to point your attention to these pictures of the creepy TV tower in Prague. The last picture, in particular, is very disturbing. I'm almost glad that I didn't get close to the tower...

Getting back to the topic at hand: after my group was finished with the Zlata Koruna monastery, we were bussed out to the town of Krumlov, which is several hours away from Prague by car.

^ The town is built near the famous Krumlov Castle, but today the town is mostly a tourist trap, filled with souvenir shops and taverns. The day we visited was blazing hot, but it was a great chance to down some authentic mead. When I tried it, I had the sudden urge to stand up, give a heroic boast, and call my thanes together to battle Grendel.

^ To enter the town from the bus parking area, we traveled underneath this bridge that links different parts of the castle. It reminded me of a Roman aqueduct.
^ At first, I thought the castle wall was crumbling away. This is not the case; instead, the wall is built into the cliff face.

^ This tower on one side of the castle immediately drew my attention.

^ You can climb the tower (height: 54.5 meters), but it will cost you. Luckily they give discounts to students. Hooray for price discrimination!

^ Here's the entrance to Krumlov, taken from the tower. I crossed the bridge on the right when entering the town. The pub with the best mead in town is on the waterfront on the left side; it's the 5th or 6th house from the left.

^ Straight down from the tower is the bridge leading into the castle. The area immediately below the bridge contained a bear. Yes, you read that right: a bear. I felt terribly sorry for it, as it didn't seem happy at all, confined to such a small area.

^ Also taken from the tower, but in the other direction. As you can see, Krumlov stretches out quite a ways beyond the castle.

^ While I was on top of the tower, I met a Japanese family that was taking pictures. Exercising my rusty command of the Japanese language, I held out my camera and asked, "Shashin wo kudasi" (please take a picture). They were shocked to hear someone speaking their language and asked me all sorts of questions (in English). They did also take a picture for me.

^ Here's a panoramic image I took from the tower (click the picture for a bigger view). As with Prague, the farther out from the center you go, the more modern the buildings become.

^ Walking through the steets of Krumlov, I couldn't resist taking a picture of this Gothic-themed "Horor Bar" sign. I'm guessing this bar isn't popular among pirates, because it's missing an RRRRRRRRRR.

^ The town itself is about as scenic as they come in the Czech Republic. Here we have the Hotel Mlyn, which is supposed to be a nice place to stay if you're in the area.

^ Finally, here's another panoramic of Krumlov. On the left you can see the castle tower and the Hotel Mlyn. Click for a bigger view!

~More on the way, as always.

No comments: